Check out these Dog grooming tips
Regular grooming is important for the dog in order to keep it clean and healthy. Dog grooming is possible at home but you need to keep certain things in mind to ensure that you do this job correctly and as good as a professional.
Here are some dog grooming tips which you can follow to make the process safe and easy:
1. While brushing the dog, you need to check the coat of the dog for ticks. The best way to identify them is to look for small black dots or flecks on the body. You may even notice tiny bugs moving on the coat. These bugs need to be removed from the coat with thorough brushing.
2. Another point to remember while brushing is to check the length of hair on the body of the dog. For short coats, you can use a rubber brush followed by a thistle brush and then finish off with a chamois cloth. This length of hair needs to be brushed once in a week. For longer coats, you need to take a slicker brush and then follow it up with a bristle brush for thorough cleaning. Longer coats require daily brushing. You should specially brush the tail and feet.
3. While bathing the dog, you should use a shampoo which is specially formulated for dogs. Avoid using soaps as they are harsh on dog skin and cause allergic reactions. You can keep a bath mat in the tub so that your dog does not slip while bathing.
4. It is important to use lukewarm water for dog wash as it soothes the joint pains in older dogs and provides massage. It can also help in killing bacteria.
5. You should take care not to spray water into the eyes, ears or nose because it is difficult to for the dogs to handle. It is important to rinse the dog well so that no shampoo is left behind to cause irritation.
6. Do not cut into the 'quick' while trimming the nails of your dog. This can inflict a lot of pain on the dog. Nails need to be cut every week or every couple of weeks to prevent dirt accumulation.
7. In order to maintain oral hygiene, you should brush the teeth of your dog with special dog toothpaste. If that is not available, you can give your pet raw hide bones or toys to chew on. This method is also effective in removing dirt and germs from the teeth.
Try these dog grooming tips to keep your dog healthy and safe for a long time and to save unnecessary expenses on professional dog grooming.